Tuesday, May 10

Anthro-inspired duvet

I am in love with Anthropologie. IN LOVE. The funky style, the bright colors mixed with lots of whites, the world-traveler feel... it's all my favorite. But everything is super expensive. And while Lance really gives me free reign to buy whatever I want, I have a hard time spending $300 + on a duvet cover and pillows. So instead, I decided to make our own! And I am so pleased with how it turned out.

Our room is still a work in progress (we are in the middle of painting our night stands and making
a new headboard) but I am in love with the simpleness of the the duvet and pillows.

I first bought the duvet off of overstock. $20 is well worth the fabric and time it would
have taken me to get that far. Then I purchased white cotton at Hobby Lobby, cut it into
6 inch strips that were 3x the length of the sides, surged around the edges, did a basting
stitch around the edges, gathered, then stitched it around the outside of the duvet. So easy!


For the pillows, I first stitched the ruffles on the front piece, then added two overlapping pieces
of fabric on the back. That way you don't have to deal with zippers.


I will update again once our night stands and headboard are finished.
There were several of you who expressed interest in making your own Anthro-inspired duvets. 
I could probably tell you how to make any of the gathered ones even though this one is much
 more simple.

Do you want more detailed instructions?

3 comments:

Danielle and Preston said...

Chris you're so crafty and talented! Instead of you giving me instructions, how about i just pay you to make me one! ha ha sound good?? ;) i love anthropology too!

Merrells said...

Fabulous! I love it! Can't wait to see the rest of the transformation.

Curious Traveler said...

It looks so fluffy! I love the white! I can't wait to see the headboard with it! love you