Wednesday, September 18

All about Tile

Choosing tile has been the single most difficult decision for me in the entire house-building process! I have known for a long time I've wanted a white kitchen with marble countertops, brown wood floors throughout the main and light gray walls. I knew I wanted a fireplace in our living room with built in bookshelves flanking each side. There are so many details I've had figured out from the very beginning but when it comes to tile, I have flip flopped too many times to count!

When it really came down to it the pictures I was constantly drawn to were white marble tile, but marble is a hard choice for a few reasons. One, it can be a lot of upkeep, two, it costs a lot of money, especially once you start getting into Calcutta gold (my favorite!) and the fun different patterns, and three, I worried that white throughout the entire house would be too boring.

Well, I'm happy to say I've finally committed to tile for the entire house and I couldn't be happier with my decisions! I worked hard to source the marble I bought and found it for an incredible deal on ebay, so I was able to stay mostly in budget while still getting what I want. And I am really excited to add punches of color to each bathroom through painting the vanities different colors and with textiles.

White ceramic hexagon tile
$4.95 per sq ft.
This will go in the kid's bathroom, 
the apartment bathroom & 
the apartment laundry room

White Carrera marble basketweave
with Gray accent
$9.99 per sq ft
Main floor laundry room 

1" White Carrera marble hexagon
$8.59 per sq ft
Main floor 1/2 bath

These last two marble tiles can easily run $16.99 a square foot, 
so these are incredible prices!

















I realized with tile, just like I did with the exterior of our home, that going with what I really want is a gutsy move but I would regret it if I did anything else. I also try to err on the side of classic and simple and I don't think you can get any more classic than subway, penny tile and marble.

And for an update, we are almost finished with exterior siding and tile has already begun. Next will be wood floors, finish work, cabinets and painting! We are about 6 weeks from completion.

**Let me also just say that I feel a little silly having an entire post about tile for our new house. I know there are so many other, more important issues going on in our country which is why it's so nice to just think about something that doesn't really matter. Thanks for indulging me for a bit while I plan our future home!

4 comments:

Lindsey and Tony said...

I am so excited to see the final product!

Unknown said...

Love the classic style..modern yet timeless!

Unknown said...

Love the classic style..modern yet timeless!

Merrells said...

Pretty bathrooms! I'm excited to see how yours turns out.